Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women: Knowledge Is the Legacy

 




Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women: Knowledge Is the Legacy

I want to dedicate this message to a young lady who once offered to pray for me.

That simple gesture reminded me of something powerful: sometimes the next generation does not need us to have all the answers. They need us to share what we have learned.

I want to dedicate this message to a young woman who once offered to pray for me.

That simple gesture reminded me of something powerful: sometimes the next generation does not need us to have all the answers. They need us to share what we have learned.

We live in a culture that can quickly categorize people.

A person experiencing homelessness may be labeled lazy or an addict. A woman experiencing financial hardship may be encouraged to use her body instead of being taught how to use her mind, education, skills, and resources to change her circumstances.

But what if we changed the conversation?

What If We Taught Her?

What if we taught our daughters about money, credit, careers, entrepreneurship, relationships, boundaries, mental health, reproductive health, and self-worth?

What if we told young girls that their bodies are not their only source of value?

What if we taught them that a financial crisis does not mean they have to compromise their dignity?

What if we taught them how to recognize manipulation, exploitation, unhealthy relationships, and people who attempt to make others feel small so they can feel powerful?

Knowledge can become protection.

We Have to Talk About the Things Nobody Wants to Talk About

Girls need age-appropriate education about their bodies and personal safety.

Puberty can begin earlier than many adults realize. The NIH notes that puberty typically begins between ages 8 and 13 for girls, while puberty beginning before age 8 is considered precocious puberty. (NICHD)

That means conversations about body safety, boundaries, inappropriate behavior, consent, and trusted adults cannot wait until adolescence.

Our children deserve information before they need it.

We Also Have to Teach Her That "Fitting In" Is Not the Same as Belonging

A five-year-old should not have to wonder whether she is "too big," "too small," "too fat," "too skinny," or different from everyone else.

Yet children absorb messages about appearance early.

Research summarized by the American Psychological Association connects appearance-based social comparison and certain forms of social-media engagement with poorer body image, disordered eating, and depressive symptoms, particularly among girls. (American Psychological Association)

So what are we teaching our daughters?

Are we teaching them how to become smaller?

Or are we teaching them how to become stronger, wiser, healthier, and more confident?

We Cannot Pass Down "I Wish I Would Have Known"

Too many lessons are passed from generation to generation as:

"I wish I had known."

"I wish I had left sooner."

"I wish I had saved money."

"I wish I had gone to school."

"I wish I had recognized the signs."

"I wish I had valued myself."

But what if the next generation does not have to say the same things?

Our experiences can become their education.

Our mistakes can become their warning signs.

Our healing can become their blueprint.

Mental Health Must Be Part of the Conversation

Women need to know that struggling emotionally does not make them weak.

Perinatal depression, for example, can affect women regardless of race, income, culture, or education. Research also shows that suicidality can occur during the childbearing period and deserves serious attention before and after childbirth. (National Institute of Mental Health)

Black women also face significant disparities in maternal health. In 2024, the maternal mortality rate for Black women in the United States was 44.8 deaths per 100,000 live births, compared with 14.2 for White women. (CDC)

These numbers should not simply become statistics.

They should become conversations.

And those conversations must include culture, social conditions, access to care, trauma, economic circumstances, communication, and whether women feel heard and respected.

Research has identified cultural stigma, the expectation to be the "strong Black woman," mistrust of healthcare systems, and lack of culturally responsive care as barriers that can influence mental-health recognition and treatment among Black women. (PubMed Central (PMC))

Financial Independence Is Women's Wellness

We also need to teach girls and young women about financial independence.

Women should know how to:

  • Budget

  • Save

  • Build credit

  • Negotiate salaries

  • Understand benefits

  • Invest

  • Start businesses

  • Purchase property

  • Recognize financial exploitation

  • Create emergency plans

  • Build multiple streams of income

Women continue to experience an earnings gap. In 2025, women working full time had median weekly earnings of $1,089 compared with $1,326 for men—about 82.1% of men's median earnings. (Bureau of Labor Statistics)

Knowledge does not eliminate every barrier.

But knowledge gives us more tools to navigate those barriers.

What Are Our Children Learning?

Our children know the latest songs.

They know the latest dances.

They know social-media drama.

They know who is dating whom.

They know what is trending.

But do they know:

How to recognize depression?

How to create a budget?

How credit works?

How to protect their body?

How to identify manipulation?

How to apply for college?

How to start a business?

How to negotiate a salary?

How to recognize an unhealthy relationship?

How to ask for help?

How to recover from failure?

These conversations can change lives.

Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women

Empowerment is more than telling a woman, "You can do it."

Empowerment is teaching her how.

Teach her.

Talk to her.

Listen to her.

Correct her without destroying her confidence.

Tell her the truth without taking away her hope.

Give her information before she encounters the situation.

And when she makes a mistake, teach her how to learn from it instead of allowing one mistake to become her identity.

The young woman who offered to pray for me reminded me that empowerment is not always about age.

Sometimes the person we think we are supposed to teach is also teaching us.

That is the beauty of generations learning from one another.

Knowledge Changes Conversations.

Conversations change understanding.

Understanding can change decisions.

Decisions can change families.

And changed families can change generations.

Women empowering women means we stop saying, "I wish I would have known," and start saying, "Let me teach you what I know."

The next generation deserves more than survival.

They deserve knowledge, opportunity, protection, confidence, wellness, and the freedom to become who they were created to be.

Let's give them information before the world gives them misinformation.

Let's give them wisdom before they have to learn every lesson through pain.

Let's become the women who prepare the next generation—not just to fit into the world, but to change it.

Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women.

Knowledge is not just something we possess. It is something we can pass forward.

Further reading

https://www.apa.org/about/policy/psychological-practice-girls-women.pdf

GOVPUB-HE23_1200-PURL-gpo159549.pdf (SECURED)

Postpartum depression: Causes, symptoms, risk factors, and treatment options

How Mental Illness Among Black Americans Goes Misdiagnosed - Capital B News



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays: A Moment to Be Thankful

Applying the 8 Domains of Wellness in Work, Business, and Personal Life

Social Wellness: Reconnecting in a Changing World